ISTA 6-Amazon.com-SIOC is considered Tier 2 in Amazon’s packaging certification tiers. Testing to the SIOC guidelines ensures a product can withstand the transportation hazards that are typically encountered during transportation and handling of products. The testing requirements were created to simulate the transportation hazards that might be incurred by transporting goods from the vendor to an Amazon.com Fulfillment Center and to the customer. There are eight individual standards for the Ships In Own Container packages. The standards are based on weight, size and delivery method.
The Amazon.com SIOC test provides many benefits to vendors, including the reduction and possible removal of Amazon prep chargebacks, an opportunity to reduce packaging costs and an opportunity to reduce inbound transportation costs. Products that meet the Ships-In-Own-Container requirements are ISTA-6 compliant, require no Amazon prep and can be shipped without an Amazon.com Overbox. These product packages must be a rigid six-sided shape box free from windows or cutouts (small access holes or hand holes are acceptable). Padded mailers and rigid envelopes may be used provided they meet the 9”x6”x0.375” minimum size requirement but a 6 sided box is preferable.
Below is a list of the product test type categories with links to the specific testing scopes:
- Type A is for parcel delivery of individual packaged-products less than 50 lb. (23 kg).
- Type B is for parcel delivery of individual packaged-products 50 lb. (23 kg) to less than 100 lb. (43 kg).
- Type C is for parcel delivery packaged-products 100 lb. (43 kg) or greater.
- Type D is for LTL delivery of individual packaged-products less than 100 lb. (43 kg).
- Type E is for LTL delivery of individual packaged-products 100 lb. (43 kg) or greater.
- Type F is for LTL delivery of individual palletized packaged-products.
- Type G is for parcel delivery of individual packaged TVs and monitors that are less than 150 pounds (68 kg) & have a girth equal to or less than 165” (4.19 m)
- Type H is for LTL delivery of individual packaged TVs and monitors that are 150 pounds (68 kg) or greater or have a girth greater than 165” (4.19 m)
It should be noted that most of the product test types require one product samples to be tested, while fragile products require 5. Amazon defines fragile items as items that could easily break or could leak during the distribution process. Common examples of fragile items include glass, ceramic, porcelain, clay, liquids, semi-liquids and solids that can become liquid at temperatures above 70 degrees Fahrenheit five (Televisions/monitors are not considered fragile for testing purposes). When multiple identical samples are tested, all samples must pass all tests.
Are you ready to partner with Keystone Package Testing to enjoy the benefits of Tier 2 Ships In Own Container (SIOC) product and package certification? Let’s get started!