The horizontal compression test, per Amazon Ships In Own Container (SIOC) testing, is completed by either using a clamp tester or a compression machine. If the clamp tester is used, the platens must be larger than the side dimensions of the test item, and with an opening sufficient to accommodate the test item. If a compression machine is used, the rigid load applicator, such as a ¾” piece of plywood or steel plate, must be larger than the test sample face to be tested. The horizontal compression test is performed by applying a predetermine amount of force to predetermined faces of the product. The Amazon SIOC test standard testing considers this test a clamping simulation test.
Below is an animation showing the ISTA 6-Amazon.com-SIOC Test Block 9 horizontal compression testing:
As an Amazon APASS approved and ISTA accredited package testing lab, Keystone Package Testing can meet all of your Amazon package testing needs including horizontal compression testing. Let’s work together to get your product packaging approved to the Amazon SIOC requirements.
Package types associated with the Amazon Horizontal Compression test:
- Type B: Parcel delivery of individual packaged-products 50 lb. (23 kg) to less than 100 lb. (43 kg).
- Type C: Parcel delivery packaged-products 100 lb. (43 kg) or greater.
- Type D: LTL delivery of individual packaged-products less than 100 lb. (43 kg).
- Type E: LTL delivery of individual packaged-products 100 lb. (43 kg) or greater.
- Type G: LTL delivery of individual packaged TVs and monitors that are less than 150 pounds (68 kg) & have a girth equal to or less than 165” (4.19 m)
- Type H: LTL delivery of individual packaged TVs and monitors that are 150 pounds (68 kg) or greater or have a girth greater than 165” (4.19 m)
You are still reading? Don’t drop the ball. Let Keystone drop your package so that you can receive the benefits of Amazon SIOC certification! Get a quote to get started.