As an ISTA-certified package test lab included on Amazon’s APASS network, Keystone Compliance is very familiar with the test requirements of Amazon’s Vendor Package Certification Process. We test a lot of packages on a daily basis and have assembled some tips to help Amazon vendors sell fragile products with the least amount of damage, while complying with the requirements of Amazon’s Fulfillment by Amazon product packaging guidelines. The information below is a brief overview of some best practices. Please consult Amazon.com for a full list of their packaging requirements for fragile items.
Things to do:
- Box fragile units with six solid sides, eliminating any exposure.
- Consider all stages of the procurement process, shipment preparation, shipment, storage and shipment to the customer.
- Ensure sure your products can pass a three-foot drop test onto a hard surface without breaking. The drop test consists of five drops (1) flat on base, (2) flat on top, (3) flat on longest side, (4) flat on shortest side and (5) on a corner.
- Individually wrap or box all units.
- Pack items so that they will not break or create a safety hazard.
- Use permitted cushioning materials such as air pillows, bubble wrap, foam sheets and paper.
- Use permitted packaging materials such as boxes, dunnage and labels.
Things not to do:
- Leave empty space in the package, allowing the product to move.
- Not use either a six solid-sided box or have the unit completely secured in bubble wrap.
It is important to note that if the product contains plexiglass or is packaged in plexiglass, there needs to be a label of at least two inches by three inches that states that the material is plexiglass. This label will help distinguish plexiglass products from products made of glass, which require special packaging and handling.
Keystone Compliance provides vendors with the testing to certify their products to receive the benefits of Amazon’s Packaging Certification Tiers. With significant package testing knowledge, globally-recognized accreditation, short lead times and affordable prices, Keystone Compliance is the best Amazon package testing partner. Let’s get started!