The rotational edge drop test, per Amazon Ships In Own Container (SIOC) testing, is completed using a measuring device, a support block and a flat rigid surface such as concrete or steel. The support block is 3.5 to 4.0 inches in height and width and at least eight inches longer than the longest package dimension to be supported. To perform the test, one of the edges of the product is placed on the support block. The opposite edge is lifted nine inches and then released quickly to allow it to free fall to the ground. The test standard calls for multiple drops of the product on certain sides. If the product, while in a particular orientation, topples over before a side or edge can be lifted to the required support or drop height, then the rotational drop edge test is not possible. The Amazon SIOC test standard testing considers this test a shock test.
Below is an animation showing the ISTA 6-Amazon.com-SIOC Test Block 5,Test Block 18 and Test Block 21 rotational edge drop testing:
As an Amazon APASS approved and ISTA accredited package testing lab, Keystone Package Testing can meet all of your Amazon package testing needs including rotational edge drop testing. Let’s work together to get your product packaging approved to the Amazon SIOC requirements.
Package types associated with the Amazon Rotational Edge Drop test:
- Type A: Parcel delivery of individual packaged-products less than 50 lb. (23 kg).
- Type B: Parcel delivery of individual packaged-products 50 lb. (23 kg) to less than 100 lb. (43 kg).
- Type C: Parcel delivery packaged-products 100 lb. (43 kg) or greater.
- Type E: LTL delivery of individual packaged-products 100 lb. (43 kg) or greater.
- Type F: LTL delivery of individual palletized packaged-products.
- Type H: LTL delivery of individual packaged TVs and monitors that are 150 pounds (68 kg) or greater or have a girth greater than 165” (4.19 m)
You are still reading? Don’t drop the ball. Let Keystone drop your package so that you can receive the benefits of Amazon SIOC certification! Get a quote to get started.